Saturday, November 21, 2009

Listening Blog #21 – “Back In Your Head” – Tegan and Sara

Instrumentation: Vocals (the Quin sisters), Piano, Percussion (drums, possibly tambourine), Electric Guitar, Electric Bass

Form: Like most modern non-art music, this song is strophic – alternating between verses and the chorus of “I just want back in your head.”

Origins: This is an original song written by Sara. Interestingly enough, I read somewhere that she originally wrote it as a slower song, but sped it up because she knew it would sound more appealing.

Melody: Melodically, this song seems very simple: most of the melody line runs stepwise (only a step away within the scale), and the rhythm is also fairly simple. Yet there’s also a certain beauty in the song’s simplicity that makes it catchy and memorable.

Lyrics: The lyrics seem to refer to the complicated romantic relationship dynamics between two people. The speaker feels a sorrowful sense of detachment from their lover (“I just want back in your head”), yet also fears the dangers of intimacy “(I’m not unfaithful but I’ll stray / When I get a little scared”). These lyrics have a universal appeal to listeners: despite age, race, sexual orientation, or any other factor, everyone can feel love or confusion over it.

Timbre: The Quin sisters possess a unique, distinctive vocal quality that I would say is the defining mark of all their music. I find their voices to be simultaneously charming and gratingly shrill. I do think that they have a somewhat childish tone to their voice, which meshes ironically with their mature, introspective lyrics.

Personal Response: Tegan and Sara are one of my favorite groups, and “Back In Your Head” is probably their most accessible song to date (it’s definitely one of my favorites). I completely respect their talent as singer-songwriters: actually, they come to my mind as one of the (seemingly few) examples of good women role-models today in the music industry. I actually didn’t know until 6 months ago that they were both lesbians, although they are open about it. They have even written a few songs about it, such as “I Was Married”, which talks about the world’s perception of gays, and how it affects the way one sees oneself. In the interview I was reading, they expressed their disappointment with how people continue to perceive LGBTQs, especially in the media: apparently a man once asked them if they made out with each other, just because “they’re lesbians and all.” That comment made me feel pretty disgusted: but I continue to view Tegan and Sara Quin as strong, honest, and powerful women in the music industry that have inspired (and continue to inspire) many women and others alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment